"After taking our Meeting Maker Database and getting it imported into Zimbra,
our Palm OS devices that are receiving over-the-air syncs to their Zimbra
calendars lock up and head into an infinite reboot cycle when they try to
access their calendar data. It appears that something in the formatting of
the calendar data now pretty much just causes the brain of the Palm devices
to explode... because the problem does not extend to Blackberry devices."
Being the responsible guys we are, we freaked. Then we read that the problem doesn't happen with BlackBerry devices. In calendar migrations if we do something really wrong we expect it to fail everywhere. Since they used Notify for both Palm and BlackBerry sync from Zimbra we started looking at Palm. I think I have an old VIIx sitting on my discarded electronics drawer from the days a decade ago when we started this company.
Being exceedingly motivated, however, our client managed to come up with a solution before us. Their significantly greater knowledge of the Palm probably also had a lot to do with this.
Seems to be related to recurring meetings on the Palm, which interpreted some instance as "Zero" and didn't like it -- but didn't gracefully recover either.
They suggest other users with this problem (which I really hope there never are any, but know there will be some out there)
- Go to http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5.htm
- Download the zipped Windows EXE.
- In Advanced Apps there is a file called 'dbscan'
- Open this on your PC
- It should set itself up to install on your next sync. Read the instructions! It is a database integrity checker.
- It will advise of the corrupt files and give you the opportunity to delete them from your handheld.
- Run a sync again - but set the options for **handheld to overwrite pc** - this will sort out the problem.
I would really like to thank the folks at Pimlico Software for their really good application for Palms!